Friday

partygirl

We are having a party tomorrow night. A big potluck thing with adults and kids and neighbors and friends and acquaintances. If it doesn't rain, I expect at least 40-60 people.

I love throwing parties. I come from a proud tradition of party-throwers. When I was growing up, my parents were always having 5 or 50 extra people over. My mother taught me that the house/food/decor/silverware doesn't have to be perfect before you can have people over and everyone has a good time. It's all about the mix of people. I aim for the most eclectic mix possible, combining my various subgroups of friends: journalists, horsey friends, musicians, parents of my kids' friends, slacker artistes, politicos, neighbors in our funky neighborhood...the key is to have enough of each group present so that no one feels uncomfortable. Mingling happens best this way.

My kids love parties, too. I always encourage them to help get ready and to invite their friends and their parents. We have a good time. And it forces me to clean my house ;-)

3 comments:

Catherine K. said...

"Forces me to clean my house..." God, that is me. I swear I'm thinking of inviting my buddies to cook out on Sunday so I'll clean the dang house! Hope to see you tomorrow...can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful party. Love, mama

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful party. Love, mama