Thursday

an extraordinary life or, my grandmother kicks it with erik estrada, john denver, julie andrews, and that guy from welcome back kotter

My grandmother, who lives in Bell Buckle with the rest of my clan, is 88 years old and feeling poorly lately, so she's been on my mind a lot.

She has had a truly incredible life. She was born to well-to-do parents in Nashville, graduated from the University of Missouri College of Journalism when girls just didn't do that, and eventually became one of the top entertainment reporters in the country. She was for many years editor of PHOTOPLAY MAGAZINE, which was the People magazine before there was a People magazine, and she had a syndicated entertainment column for many years.

Anyway, I am starting to pull together a lot of photos and things from her life, and here is a sampling of some pix of her at work over the years, with everyone from Elvis to Bette Davis to Jack Nicholson. It's pretty cool.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

or as slideshow, RIGHT HERE

Even Mork from Ork and Erik Estrada make an appearance in these photos from my grandmother's life. I think my fave photo, though is the one of her drinking a Coors Light with Julie Andrews...

with Julie Andrews

with Mork

with Bette Davis

with Jack Nicholson

with her secretary, Linda, and Priscilla Preseley and P's then-boyfriend

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting life she has had!Grandmothers are cool.My grandmother looked and acted exacly like Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy.It still amuses me to this day.I miss her very,very much and wish that she was still alive.If possible, try to get over to see your grandma while you can. JCB

Anonymous said...

BTW,what about Nancy as the baby's name?

Julie said...

My sister, who is due the same week I am, already called dibs on the name Nancy.

Siobhán said...

The photo (??) after Mel Tills is Steve McQueen.

Siobhán said...

The photo after John Denver is the cast from the Farmer's Daughter, The tv shoe not the movie.

Anonymous said...

name dropping anyone????

Lisa said...

What wonderful stories I bet she has to tell!

Anonymous said...

the most important thing to remember is that celebrities poop and pee and wipe their butts just like the rest of us. Never got this whole celebrity culture thing and never will.

Anonymous said...

What is your granny's last name? Hope she feels better soon. I love that picture of her and Dame Julie too. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think the point was name-dropping or worshipping celebrity culture, but celebrating a beloved grandmother who's getting older and not feeling well. Part of the point as I read it was also to celebrate a woman whose achievements were so out of the ordinary for her time.
I really liked the photo of her with Robin Williams. She looks sharp and he looks tenderly bemused.